Friday, February 5, 2010

Home-Packed Love


Tony is on his way home for his first "home time" since starting out as a solo.

YIPEEEEE

He just finished the food that I sent out with him a month ago. I love it that I can send some home-packed love out with him. It is so nice knowing that he doesn't have to depend upon truckstops for food.

One of the ways I send food out with him is by vacuum sealing it.

Looks like space food, doesn't it?
These are just cubes of ham and turkey with either hot pickled okra or some banana peppers mixed with some spicier pickled peppers and carrots.
All he has to do is cut them open with scissors and dump them into a small container for the day. I also do cheese cubes as well as a great bunch of veggies - broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and jicama. They all lasted well over 3 weeks - he ran out before they lost their home-packed goodness. I'll send more this time.

I do some other things in the vacuum sealer, this is just all I have done so far this time.

3 comments:

  1. i am really enjoying your new lifestyle!...i sure miss being home and having a garden and putting up my own airtights!....i hope i don't sound stupid, but i've never had a vacumn sealer....do you still have to refridgerate the bags??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - they go in the fridge, but they last forever. Cut carrot sticks lasted in the fridge in the truck for 3 weeks. He ran out of stuff before any of it went bad. I keep the fridge in the truck set on 33, so it sits right on the line of freezing, but doesn't. This is all just grocery store stuff - garden will start popping this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there - just catching up on the new blog. Glad you're back online, and sorry I missed you when you were in Terlingua. Loved the post on canning. Planning to try a pressure canner this summer when I get up to Arkansas and get some homegrown tomatoes, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one nervous about using the thing. The sealer bags are a great idea, too.

    ReplyDelete