Saturday, January 30, 2010


I like to wake up and have a cup of coffee before thinking about anything else. I especially do not like to think about what to have for breakfast.
I really, really, really do not like to make decisions that early in my day.

When we were teaming, Tony was so well organized that before going to sleep he put a packet of instant oatmeal in a container, added the appropriate amount of water and was able to eat it right after waking to start his shift. We had eaten cold/soaked oats before and after I found the Kashi brand (they had the simplest ingredients), I decided to try incorporating into my wake-up routine. They work great for me - do it the night before and it is ready in the morning.

We were using the Kashi packets while on the truck, but once I got off the road, I decided it was time to do them myself.

The 1/2 cup amount of most instant oatmeal packets seemed about right, so I decided to go with that.


I found this great 5 Grain Rolled Grain Mix and love it, making that half of the packet.


Organic regular rolled oats are the other half, but I buzz them through the food processor a bit to help the packets not feel like we are cows chewing field grains.

The finer grain on the oats gives the cereal mix a feeling of creaminess without the slime factor of oatmeal.
The sweetness and flavoring that I decided on for the first run was Brown Sugar and Cinnamon. Equal parts organic evaporated cane juice and organic brown sugar with enough cinnamon to punch up the aromatic factor.



Packaging in snack size bags keeps things simple and easy to store a bunch of these in a gallon size storage bag.

1/4 cup 5 Grain Mix
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 T Brown sugar cinnamon mix
pinch kosher salt

1/2 cup water

Tony and I both really like the chewiness of cold soaked oats, but I realize that not everyone does. The 1/2 cup of water can either be cold for an overnight soak, or hot for a quick 10 minute morning soak.

Now I have one less decision to make each morning.

3 comments:

  1. Do we reach a certain age when we start sharin oatmeal recipes? Ok, I put pumpkin spice and currants and use milk instead of water in mine, fresh grated nutmeg and a fine swirl of maple syrup on top. I didn't use to like oatmeal, and now it's my morning coffees' dessert! Now I wanna try your mix!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mabb007, you are too funny!! I guess reaching that "certain age" and sharing oatmeal recipes is better than sharing laxative recipes or some such. Yours sounds yummy - I am going to try the pumpkin pie spice or maybe apple pie spice. Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it will work on the road, but when you're both home and looking for a change try this: (I never measure) 1/2 steel cut oats, 1/4 rolled oats, 1/4 cream of wheat or rice. Add a mushed banana, peanut (or cashew or almond) butter, ground flax, maple syrup for sweet. The measurements are not cups necessarily, just an approximation of the finished product. It's a lot like the Bouille that Steve and Mary used to make at the deli.

    ReplyDelete