Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Kitchen Pictures


Before I post - I want to say "Thank You" to everyone who followed me through the blog changing process. Wonderful comments and e-mails make it feel like I don't just send this out to the winds.
Blogging is a strange process - one writes for the joy and process of writing, but knowing that there are readers adds another dimension.

On to today's post.

The kitchen in our darling little cottage is weird as can be. Since the house was built in 1895, it is entirely possible that the bathroom was not originally inside the house. In order to bring it indoors, the kitchen was likely moved from the outside wall into a newly created interior wall.

Hence, I have a sink that does not look out a window.
Worse, it looks smack into a cabinet.
Even worse, the cabinet is waaaayyyy to low.

And, the fridge was just plopped beside the stove (which seemed to be randomly positioned as well). The light switch was actually BEHIND the refrigerator.

And what is going on with a naked water heater in the kitchen?
Oh yeah . . . this is all 100 years newer than the original layout of the kitchen.

So, since I love moving stuff around, I decided to immediately move the refrigerator over in front of the extra door going into the bathroom.

AND cover up that damn water heater.

There was a large space in the center of the room that just cried out for an island of some sort. Thanks to Sam's, we put in a stainless steel work table and backed it with a great handmade oak library table/kitchen table from the flea market.

Two almost matching chairs (love the curvy thing going on) from the Salvation Army finish the picture.
In the photo above, you can just see the corner of my rolling cart (also from Sam's) - I love those things. I actually have 4 of them spread around the house.
If you are really observant, you will also notice that I had the upper cabinets raised 4 inches - MUCH better. I will still be replacing them as soon as possible with a more open arrangement so that my nose isn't in a cabinet when I wash dishes.

There is not a level spot in the entire kitchen . . .
I guess that is why I love it so.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't feel like home if it was level! xoxoD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metaphorically speaking, not a level spot in the entire kitchen? What yu think, mirror squares between counter and cabinets for temporary solution? Easy, cheap, light and vista reflective? Like you need ideas? Can't help myself. Lovin what you're doin. LOVIN IT!!! Thanks so much for sharing, so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete